Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Cryer

For a while, I was hanging around this girl Jo, who I'd known in high school. She was my age (24 at the time), twice divorced and had recently moved home from somewhere down south. She was a tattooed, raging alcoholic, head case and she was a shitty friend but she made for a hell of a night out. Needless to say, there were lots of interesting men for me to meet through her, and her partier friends. Although we no longer talk (long, boring, shitty friend story) I can thank her for the memory of my night with the cryer.
Jay was a former Marine, the former part wasn't ideal but hey....my area isn't exactly crawling with Marines and as my Gram would say, beggers can't be choosers!! Jo insisted that I meet him and I kept assuring her, I was NOT interested.....until I saw him.
From the moment I walked into the tiny, dirty, slum bar that night our fate was sealed, I was going to have this man. The night found me sitting on his lap getting to know him while our friends decided what and where we were headed next. In the parking lot we decided to ride together to our next hole in the wall and off we went to the "turtle" together.
We didn't go in at first and we sat in the car talking (no seriously we did) and as the "get to know you" conversation always does we moved on to our families. Now, I try not to talk much about my family besides my sister because we are a loving but dysfunctional redneck bunch and its just hard to explain that my dad is SO redneck that he bought a backhoe during his midlife crisis....
We are in the middle of what I thought was a wonderful conversation when all of a sudden....is he? what the FUCK? at first it was just a few sniffles but the next thing I knew he had his head in my lap and was seriously SOBBING in my lap. OH MY GOD. There I sat, motionless and speechless with a Marine, you know, the few, the proud all that shit, SOBBING LIKE A BABY IN MY LAP.
With no explanation, he sat up, got out of the car and walked into the bar. I followed because well, what the fuck else was I supposed to do? And he spent most of the rest of the night hanging all over me while I tried desperately to figure out what the hell had just happened in the car. Shortly before last call, he seemed to slip back into a blue mood and I tried to approach him, he mumbled something about leaving and home and sorry and LEFT me at the bar. No car, no way to get home, nothing. Fucking charming.
To conclude my shitty night, I text my best friend, to tell him about this epic disaster, hoping for some sympathy. WRONG, the mother fucker immediately turned to the hot cop sitting next to him at work and told him the entire story. I spent the next hour fielding texts about "tissues" and "making men cry", THANKS ASSHOLES!!
I've only really known one other Marine and I can't see him breaking down into tears like that. Later Jo explained to me that his parents were both very ill and he wasn't handling it well. I guess thats understandable but don't you usually tell the girl that sometime before or after soaking her jeans in your tears!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment